Nothing says summer quite like a grill and root beer. The root beer gives the BBQ sauce a spicy, tangy flavor that perfectly compliments the brats. Give these a try if you are bored with the same old BBQ sauce. You will become a convert. And if you don’t have a grill, no worries! These can be done in the broiler as well.
Season the brats.
Broil or grill until brown and cooked through.
Make BBQ sauce .
Simmer and reduce
Chicken Brats and Root Beer BBQ Sauce
Serves: 4 Prep: 10 min Cook: 30 min
- FOR THE BRATS:
- 4 whole Chicken Bratwursts
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 teaspoons Pepper
- 4 whole Hoagie Or Hot Dog Rolls
- FOR THE BBQ SAUCE:
- 1 cup Good Root Beer
- 1 cup Ketchup
- ½ cups White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Tabasco Sauce
- 2-½ Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. In a baking dish or rimmed sheet pan, toss chicken bratwursts with olive oil, salt and pepper. Cook for 30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes to evenly brown brats.
2. Meanwhile make the sauce. Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring up to a simmer. Simmer until reduced by almost half, about 20 minutes.
3. Preheat broiler. Cut rolls in half, put them on a baking sheet and brown them under the broiler, about 2-3 minutes.
4. Serve brats on buns and drizzle sauce over the top.