Ok. So I know “melts” are suppose to have some sort of bread on the bottom. This recipe cuts out the middle man and leaves the main spectacle of the meat and toppings. The chicken is great for a quick ( and healthy) weeknight meal. Oven roasted chicken breast with spices is covered in avocado, lime and pepper jack cheese. Serve with a salad or a baked potato for a filling meal.
Put spices on the chicken:
Once cooked, add salsa:
Add avocado on top:
Place cheese on top:
Southwestern Chicken Avocado Melt
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 29 min
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 TBSP Chili Powder
- 2 TBSP Garlic Powder
- 2 TBSP Onion Powder
- 1 TBSP Cumin
- 1 TBSP Paprika
- 2 TBSP Pepper
- 1 TBSP Salt
- 8 TBSP Your favorite jarred salsa
- Juice of 2 Limes
- 2 Avocados, Sliced into thin strips
- 4 thin slices pepper jack cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place 4 chicken breasts on a baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine, chili, garlic, onion, cumin and paprika powders. Mix together and rub evenly on chicken. Cook for 25 minutes, rotating pan halfway through.
2. Take chicken out of oven. Preheat broiler. Spread 2 TBSP salsa over the top of each chicken breast. Place 1/2 an avocado, sliced on top of each chicken breast. Squeeze 1/2 a lime over each chicken breast. Gently top with a slice of cheese. Place back in oven and broil for 4 minutes, or until cheese is melted to your liking.
3. Let rest for 2 minutes and then serve. ENJOY!!