You will never eat scalloped potatoes from the box ever again. That means never. Ever. There is no excuse. This recipe is too easy to not cook. And I cut out most of the fat other than the cheese. Because you need cheese. I had this as a side for Easter dinner with ham, but it would also be great with chicken.
Layer the potatoes:
Add 1/2 the sauce and cheese:
Make sure you get good cheese. It makes all the difference. I went to whole foods and splurged a little bit. But because I am using any other fats, you really want the cheese to shine.
Add another layer potatoes, sauce and cheese:
Top with Parmesan cheese:
Lightened Up Scalloped Potatoes
Prep: 20 min
Cook Time: 55 min
- 6 medium sized white potatoes
- 3 cups low fat milk ( 1%)
- 1/4 cup Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 1 TBSP Butter, Unsalted
- 2 TBSP garlic powder
- 1 TBSP Chili Powder
- 2 TBSP Onion Powder
- 1 TBSP Pepper
- 1 TSP Salt
- 2 TBSP Fresh Thyme, Chopped
- 1 1/2 TBSP Fresh Oregano, Chopped
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9 by 13 glass baking dish.Slice potatoes into thin slices, no more that 1/4 inch ( if you want to use a mandolin, great. Please use the safety guard though, I like my readers with all their digits.)
2. Make Sauce: In a medium sauce pan on medium heat, add milk, butter, garlic, chili, onion powder, salt and pepper. Once the butter melts and it comes to a simmer, add thyme and oregano. Once added, remove from heat. A little bit at a time, add greek yogurt, whisking as you add to reduce chance of clumping.
3. Assemble: Using 1/2 the potatoes, layer on bottom of baking dish, slightly overlapping the potatoes. Pour 1/2 the sauce evenly over the potatoes. Sprinkle 1/2 the mozzarella cheese on top. Add the rest of the potatoes, layering them in the same way. Add the rest of the sauce and then mozzarella evenly. Top with Parmesan cheese.
4. Cover with foil and cook for 30 min. Then remove foil and cook remaining 25 min, till the potatoes are tender and the top is golden brown.
5. Let cool for a few minutes, then serve.
Calories (Per Serving) : 391
- Fat: 15.5 g
- Saturated: 8.9
- Cholesterol (mg): 52.9
- Protein (g) 27.8
- Vitamin A (%): 14.4
- Calcium (%) 65.6