Don’t want to stand in line for an hour at the Honey Baked Ham store? Don’t want one of the pre-baked hams from the supermarket that have all those strange ingredients? Want a recipe so easy that even your husband ( or significant other lacking cooking skills) could do? Here it is! I made the recipe for Thanksgiving and it kicks butt. Sweet, salty and tangy, with a brown sugar honey crust, your family will be asking you for the recipe.
Trim the ham and place it skin side down in crock pot:
Make brown sugar honey orange zest glaze:
Rub that glaze all over that ham:
Ready to Eat!
Citrus Brown Sugar Ham
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 7-8 Hrs
- 8 lb Shank Half Ham
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 Cup orange juice
- 1 Cup apple juice
- 1 cup Pineapple Juice
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 TBSP orange zest
1. Trim Ham to fit crock pot. If you have a huge crock pot you can probably skip this step. I had to trim about an inch off the bottom in order for it to fit. Place skin side down in crock pot.
2. Add the juices, pouring over the top of the ham. Squeeze juice of orange over ham, leaving pulp if it lands on ham.
3. In a small bowl, add brown sugar, honey and orange zest, mix together till it forms a paste.
4. Rub past over the top and sides of ham to evenly cover.
5. Put lid on crock pot, I also had to put a couple bags of rice on top to weigh it down, with a towel underneath.
6. Cook on low for 7-8 hours, basting with juices every hour.
7. Once done, let cool and then place in fridge.