After seeing quite a few versions of zucchini lasagna on Pintrest, I decided to come up with my own. All the other recipes seemed so blah that I wanted to take it up a notch, so I use zucchini and eggplant to give it some textural and taste variety. The use of zucchini and eggplant instead of lasagna noodles adds fiber and vitamins while keeping your blood sugar stable, for you diabetics out there. The boyfriend does not like ricotta cheese ( go figure) , so I only used mozzarella and Parmesan, which after further inspection, I don’t think you need it either. If you have a lasagna pan, you could probably fit more layers, however me with my lowly glass dish could only fit about 2 layers of vegetables. I really did not miss the pasta and I think it has even more flavor that normal lasagna because of that fact.
Cut the zucchini and eggplant:
Put salt on the veggies and wait about 10 minutes till it looks like this:
Low Carb Lasagna:
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Serves: 8 people
- 2 zucchini
- 1 eggplant
- 1 TBSP Salt
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 TBSP EVOO
- 1.5 lb 93% lean ground beef
- 1 Pinch Ground Pepper
- 1 1/2 jars of your favorite pasta sauce
- 16 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, shredded into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup kale, shredded into bite sized pieces
- 6 oz shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut zucchini into thin ribbons. Peel eggplant and cut into 1/2 inch rounds. Lay on paper towel. Sprinkle 1 TBSP salt over vegetables. Let sit for about 10 minutes. Wipe the veggies off with paper towel to get off excess salt and water.
2. Meanwhile, roughly chop onion and mince garlic. Heat pan to medium high heat and add olive oil. Once oil is shimmering, add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is starting to brown, about 6 minutes. Add ground beef and ground pepper about cook about 5 minutes, till slightly browned . Add 1 jar of pasta sauce and simmer for about 5 minutes until ground beef is no longer pink.
3. In a 9 by 13 glass dish, lay zucchini on bottom. Add about 1/2 of ground beef mixture on top. Add 1/2 of mozzarella cheese. Place eggplant rounds on top. Add basil leaves next and then the kale. Top that with the rest of the ground beef mixture and the other half jar of pasta sauce. Top that with the rest of the mozzarella and all the Parmesan cheese.
4. Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes. Remove foil and broil until top is golden brown about 8 minutes. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.
The key here is to salt the zucchini and eggplant to draw out excess moisture so that your lasagna is not a goopy mess. Please do not skip this step.
Make it vegetarian: instead of ground beef, sub mushrooms and maybe add another layer of kale on top of the mushrooms.