I have never been or will never be the person who likes sweet and savory food together. However, with Taco Bell’s new Breakfast items such waffle taco, I was inspired to try a savory take on the breakfast item without the legendary aftermath of eating Taco Bell. You can either eat this by itself, or in a taco form. This savory pancake will have you rethinking breakfast.
In its Taco Form with scrambled eggs, bacon, cheese and sour cream:
Savory Cheddar Cheese and Chive Pancakes:
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Serves: 3-4 People About 12 Pancakes
- 1 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 TSP Baking Powder
- 1/2 TSP Baking Soda
- 1/2 TSP Salt
- 1 TSP Garlic Powder
- 1 TSP Onion Powder
- 1 TSP Chili Powder
- 1 1/4 Cup Milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 TBSP Chives, finely chopped
Taco Form: 1 Slice of Bacon+ 1 scrambled egg/ Pancake
1. In a medium-sized bowl, add flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder. Whisk together to combine. In a separate larger bowl, add milk, eggs and olive oil. Add dry ingredients into the wet ones, and mix until just combined. Do not over mix. Fold in cheese and chives.
2. Preheat your oven to 190 F. Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. If pan is not non-stick, melt a bit of butter (about 1 tablespoon) in the pan as it heats.
3. Using a 1/4 cup measure, pour out pancake mixture, with a batch being about 4 pancakes at a time.
4. Once pancakes start to bubble and are golden brown on the bottom side, flip them over and cook until the other side is golden brown.
5. If not serving immediately, place cooked pancakes on a baking sheet and put in the warm oven while you finish with the rest of the batter.
6. If you are using these for tacos, cook bacon and scramble eggs until each is done to your liking.
7. Serve pancakes topped with more cheese, chives and sour cream. If eating in breakfast taco form, place scrambled eggs a slice of bacon, cheddar cheese and a bit of sour cream in the middle and fold it up like a taco.