Getting home late from a full weekend trip in Austin, I wanted to make something that was easy, reheats great and tastes amazing! I use precooked sausage because it makes life so much easier, but if you want to use uncooked, just cook the sausage before you add the onions and peppers to the pan. Remove the sausage while cooking the veggies and re- add as the recipe suggests.This is possibly one of the easiest pasta dishes to make and will be loved by both kids and adults alike.
Sausage Pepper Pasta
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Serves: 4 people
- 16 oz of whole wheat pasta
- 1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce ( I use Barilla Spicy Pasta Sauce)
- 3 Bell Pepper (any color)
- 1 yellow onion
- 4-5 chicken sausages ( I used the precooked Open Nature roasted red pepper and Parmesan sausages)
- 4 TBSP EVOO
1. Fill a large pot with water and place over high heat on stove burner.
2. Meanwhile, slice bell peppers and onion into bite sized strips. Heat saute pan over medium high heat. Add EVOO and once the oil is shimmering add the peppers and onions. Stir and cover pan with lid, stirring occasionally.
3. Once the pot of water comes to a boil, add pasta and follow directions on box. Drain pasta in colander and return to pan.
4. Once the onions and peppers have softened and caramelized, add the pasta sauce to the pan and stir. Reduce heat to medium low.
5. Slice precooked sausage into bite size coin pieces. Add sausage to peppers, onion and pasta sauce. Stir.
6. Once the sausage is warmed through, about 5 min, add the mixture to the pot with pasta. Stir to combine.
7. Serve with roasted asparagus or salad.